At Nebraska Star® Beef we are always looking for new and better ways to prepare our steaks!
Reverse Sear Steak: Medium Rare 12oz NY Strip
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Season steak to taste.
- Place steak on drip rack in oven until steak reaches desired internal temperature. (120 – 125 F for medium rare)
- When steak has reached desired internal temp, remove from oven and rest while cast iron pan pre-heats.
- Pre-heat cast iron skillet for approx. 5 min on medium heat.
- Add butter, garlic clove to preheated pan and sear steak until crust forms on all sides. (Smash garlic clove with a fork prior to basting, if desired.)
- Using a spoon, baste the steak with the garlic butter during the searing process.
- After searing on both sides, remove and rest for 6-8 minutes.
The idea behind the reverse sear steak method is to control as many variables in cooking a steak as possible. By using the oven to do the cooking, you can control time and temperature much more precisely than on a grill. Grills are prone to flair ups and hot spots that make cooking to consistent doneness very difficult. The grill is still a fun way to cook a steak for yourself and family. But, reverse sear is the best way to avoid over done or burnt steaks.